Monday, August 3, 2015

Tribute: Amy Winehouse

Everyone knows Amy Winehouse for her trademark voice and black eyeliner. Several also know Amy Winehouse for her provocative persona. And, too many individuals only know Amy Winehouse for her song "Rehab". But, few know that she dealt with depression and eating disorders.


I am far from being one of Amy Winehouse's fan girls. I'm not one of those individuals who know every little detail of a celebrity's life. I am too lazy for that amount of research and I simply don't care because most of it is insignificant to my life. But, I am an individual who appreciates her music. Amy Winehouse sings with such soul that you can't help but feel something when you listen to her. So, if you happen to be one among the many who only know her song "Rehab", let's expand your horizons. I even made a list of 10 songs by Amy Winehouse that I think everyone should hear and know. 

These songs are completely based on my taste and opinion, not top charts. In my humble opinion, I find these songs to showcase her voice well and also show her diversity. I might also add that if you are reading this and are not familiar with the song "Rehab" by Amy Winehouse, I would highly recommend to listen to it along with these 10 songs. Yet, approach with caution if you are sensitive to explicit music. Amy Winehouse is a talented artist, but her lyrics can be provocative.


I had a difficult time narrowing it down to just 10 songs, so if you liked what you heard, I would highly suggest to explore her music. 

To explain for the random blogging of Amy Winehouse, Andy and I ended our last date watching the documentary on Amy Winehouse titled Amy (clever much?). Both Andy and I love her music, so naturally we went to go see it. 

I found the documentary very interesting. I thought the film directors did a job well done at trying to shining a neutral light on Amy Winehouse and her life. I was aware that I didn't know much about the life of Amy Winehouse, but after watching Amy, I realized I knew almost nothing. And, I realized I was wrong about what I thought I knew about her. 

Amy Winehouse was a gifted singer and enjoyed writing poetry, but she led a normal life at first. She was your typical girl, and her life wasn't perfect. For one, Amy's father divorced her mother. That really affected her and  was the beginning of her depression. Yet, a hop, skip, and a jump later, she worked her way up to the top.  Amy showed that Amy Winehouse lived a life that was far from easy. And, in the end, Amy Winehouse died of heart failure on July 23, 2011. They believed that she died from the possible combination of drinking and eating disorders. Her family didn't realize it at the time, but there were a few times where she talked about the "perfect diet", which is known as bulimia. Her family didn't think much of it nor did they realize how far she would go with the "perfect diet". 

Of all the things I didn't know, I had no idea Amy Winehouse had an eating disorder. This hit home because I have struggled with eating disorders in my past and still struggle with my body image. It took me years to talk about it, even with my closest friends and family. I was ashamed to say anything because I had nothing to show. I wasn't strong enough to drop the weight and wasn't nearly as skinny as I wished to be. 

Eating disorders are very much real, and aren't something to be treated lightly. Amy Winehouse isn't the only singer to die of heart failure due to an eating disorder. Karen Carpenter, also a famous, talented singer, died of heart failure because of an eating disorder.  There are also many celebrities and artists who have or are currently struggling with eating disorders. And, like me, there are girls, young ladies, and women who battle with eating disorders and their self-image.                                
Overall, Amy was excellent and interesting to watch. I have that much more of an appreciation for Amy Winehouse as an artist and also her music. I would recommend this documentary to anyone who is an Amy Winehouse fan or who enjoys watching an interesting documentary film.

Amy Winehouse was a woman who wanted to find happiness and be loved. Her life was no walk in the park. Yet, Amy Winehouse was able to create music filled with such passion and soul. Her music was able to touch so many lives and still continues to do so. She has left her mark on this world. And, may she rest in peace. 



I would like to thank and attribute the pictures to Google Images. 













No comments:

Post a Comment